This time last week, I was enjoying a glass of wine, surrounded by some of the most inspirational fundraisers chatting all things charity! I was in Dublin for the first time, attending the Ask Direct Fundraising Summer School.
If you were there, then you know what a wonderful conference it is. If you weren’t then I implore you to attend next year! It really is worth it.
I was labeled a ‘fundraising nerd’ due to my feverish note-taking and tweeting throughout, but you know what, I’ll take it! I love this profession, I love being a fundraiser and I will proudly nerd-out over my thirst for knowledge!
So, here are some of my highlights from the positively awe-inspiring list of speakers…
- Use an unexpected voice when writing to donors… no-one expects a truck to write to them
- ASK, THANK, REPORT, REPEAT
- Do the ‘you circle challenge’ when writing to your donors
- Give something to your donors that they didn’t expect and make them feel amazing
- Be Dale’s favourite charity (Featuring my number 1 fan, John Lepp)
- Don’t claim the hero role – congratulate the donor
- Pick up the phone
- Don’t talk about your org like this
- Make your issue the donor’s issue
- Make your story the donor’s story